By Ali Issa
The Cooperative Economics Alliance of NYC (CEANYC) seeks a Program Associate to support programming, outreach to CEANYC membership, and other key tasks. This person will work remotely (though must be based in NYC), will support CEANYC 10 hours per week, and will be compensated $25/hour. Funding has been secured to support this position for one year, but there is potential for the position to grow and expand pending additional funding.
The Cooperative Economics Alliance of NYC is a cross-sectoral alliance owned and managed by its 125+ members, including: worker co-ops, food co-ops, community development credit unions, mutual housing, low-income housing co-ops, community land trusts, community gardens, CSAs, and individual New Yorkers.
Our goal is to build an economy based on values of social and racial justice, ecological sustainability, cooperation, mutualism, and democracy. We currently strengthen and expand our member groups and networks through three major programming areas: Leadership Development and Technical Assistance, Policy and Advocacy, and Research and Visibility.
The Program Associate will report to CEANYC’s full-time General Coordinator, will work closely with the Membership and Programs Coordinator, and will be supported by our board’s Labor Committee. We recognize that not all candidates will have the full set of desired qualifications; if you have most of them, we encourage you to apply.
Who You Are
CEANYC seeks a Program Associate who is passionate about social change and racial justice, and eager to build NYC’s solidarity economy.
We are looking for a candidate who has:
- Excellent writing skills
- Strong project management skills and keen attention to deadlines
- Experience with data management systems like Powerbase, WordPress, Google Drive, Zoom, Slack, and Canva or Adobe Creative Suite
- Experience in monitoring and evaluation activities, including data collection, entry and management
- Training in anti-oppression analysis and practices
- Experience coordinating volunteers
- Experience working in collective or cooperative settings
- Familiarity with consensus decision-making
- Nonprofit administrative experience (budgeting, working with fiscal sponsors)
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and remotely
- Experience working in muti-racial and diverse organizations
Desired qualifications include:
- Familiarity with cooperatives and the Solidarity Economy framework, especially the cooperative landscape in New York City
- Spanish-language fluency
- Familiarity with maintaining project management software
- Designing and offering political education programs, particularly using a popular education frame
- Experience training and leading volunteer teams
This position is an excellent fit for a person who needs a flexible schedule and who can handle managing multiple projects simultaneously. Hours are typically within the 9-5 weekday window, with the exception of programs that run on evenings or weekends (approximately 1-3 per month), and are determined with the General Coordinator. We are a growing organization and looking for someone who likes the challenge of a start-up and being part of a small but diverse team that is a mix of paid folks and volunteers.
We are especially interested in applicants with experience living, working, or volunteering in CEANYC member organizations, and those who are from the communities where CEANYC members are based. CEANYC is an equal opportunity employer and women, people of color, LGBTQIA+ people, disabled people, and those from all other NYC and NYS protected classes are encouraged to apply.
- Membership and Outreach (35%)
- Recruiting new CEANYC members and supporters
- Engaging existing CEANYC membership, including conducting field visits and phone calls with members to assess their needs and priorities
- Programs (35%)
- Actively supporting the implementation of CEANYC’s pre-existing programming, such as the Cooperative Leadership Intensive and Solidarity Economy 101
- Researching, proposing, and supporting the implementation of new programming and public events based on CEANYC member needs and priorities
- Admin (30%)
- Maintaining and strengthening CEANYC’s central member database
- Coordinating design and other CEANYC material and merchandise updates
- Please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line, “Name + CEANYC Program Associate”
- Also, please include three references and a work sample (something you created for your work that you are proud of and tells us something about who you are as a professional, no more than 2 pages of text).